Tuesday, January 22, 2013

In the kiln with Marika from Marika Leonard Ceramics




What inspires you? 
The need to learn more and get better at what I do.

Name a daily ritual you have/must do.
Apart from getting up in the morning, I don't have a daily ritual or anything that I simply must do to make the
day tick along.  I'm a very "go with the flow" type of person.

Does your product have a 'how it all started story?' Briefly, what is that story?
Learning ceramics is a long, slow process.  The story started years ago when
I sat at a pottery wheel and met the most difficult challenge of all time -
to throw the perfect bowl!!

Name your favourite artist of all time.
I admire many many artists from many different schools.  I love Turner because he was so passionate about what he did and his paintings are so full of life and energy.  He once tied himself to the mast of a boat which went out to sea in a storm so he could experience the strength of the sea and be able to paint it more effectively.  I am really keen on the Pre-Raphaelite movement.  Their depiction of nature and beauty is fantastic.   I also really like Mondrian who is known for abstract geometric painting and Rothko who painted large blocks of colour.  Modigliani’s portraits with their long necks are really appealing and David Hockney has always been a favourite. 

One of my favourite pieces of music is Beethoven’s 9th Symphony.  As we all know, Beethoven was profoundly deaf later in life.  In fact, he was so deaf when he wrote his 9th symphony that on its first performance he had to be turned round to see the reaction from the audience because he couldn’t hear it.   I find it amazing that he wrote such a beautiful piece of music, but has never heard a performance of it.  Amazing!

Who gave you your biggest advice/help in your business, and can you share it with us?
I haven't sought advice or been given any really but I read recently about
some advice George Clooney was given from his aunt, Rosemary Clooney and
from his dad.  They said "Don't wake up at seventy years old sighing over
what you should have tried.  Just do it, be willing to fail, and at least
you gave it a shot."  That seems pretty good advice to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment